Sunday, November 4, 2012

Procrastination and Progress

I have a huge motivation problem.

Scratch that . . .

When I am struggling with something, I allow myself to be easily distracted. Yeah, that's more like it.

I could blame the kids, my ADD, the phases of the moon, the pending zombie apocalypse, or any other number of things . . .

SQUIRRELS! 


. . . but the truth of the matter is, I still ALLOW myself to be distracted. I snuggle in to my writing nook, laptop in hand, with every intention to hammer out a few thousand words, but instead I am reading the news, answering emails, talking to friends, . . . everything BUT writing.

Hell, Hurricane Sandy alone has provided unlimited fodder for distraction, while I worried about friends and family who hadn't checked in, tuned into news sites for updates, and sought out images of the destruction in my native New Jersey. Even from a distance, I have felt the impact of Sandy, so I can only imagine what those in the thick of it must be going through.  But the undaunted American Spirit will get us through this disaster, just as it has every other time we needed it.
You see, the internet is my playground. As I've mentioned in the past, my closest friends live on my Facebook pages.  Being inveterately curious, rather than call a friend to check in, I open Facebook and read their status updates, peruse their recent uploads, and indulge my snarky sense of humor in sharing things that amuse me. And then there are the games . . .

Thus, I become as mesmerized as a 2 year old watching Christmas lights.

OOOOOHHHH Sparkly!

Despite my efforts to the contrary, I have still managed to log in nearly 7500 words. Of course, in between games of Bingo Blitz, I do wonder how much further I could be if I were more focused. Then the caller announces the first number, and I forget what I should have been doing.

B7 

Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment