Friday, November 2, 2012

. . . aaaannnnddd They're Off!

After spending ten days without a laptop due to a fried motherboard, and being forced to rely on an ancient desktop so out of date it took me the better part of five days to get it operational, my precious was returned to me shortly after noon yesterday. That's right, just in time for me to get some writing in for the first day of NaNoWriMo.

I'm off to a pretty decent start, logging over 2700 words for day one. I'm going to have to spend some time over the next couple of days playing catch up on the school work I missed out between the dead computer and the power outages during Hurricane Sandy, but my goal is to still log at least 1700 words a day to stay on track.

My darling children helped contribute to my NaNo Chocolate Stash from their Trick-or-Treat haul, giving me all the candy bars they don't like, that just so happen to be my favorites.  I think a trip to the grocery store may still be in order though, just to make sure they aren't stuck with any unwanted bags of candy. Can't beat those 50-75% off after holiday deals!

On a more serious note, in order to help fund the efforts of the Office of Letters and Light, the motivating force behind NaNoWriMo, as well as provide inducement to not disappont my friends and family, I have set up a sponsorship page. You can check it out here:

I hope you will consider making a donation to help keep these wonderful, inspiring programs alive - not only for adult would-be authors, but also for those brilliant, untapped talented future authors still waiting to be developed in schools all around the world.Who knows, your donation may help encourage the next J.K Rowling.


So, anyone interesed in a taste of what I wrote yesterday? Here is the prologue of The Price of Valor, my NaNoWriMo project:

 Lynne never wanted to be the one left at home, the one wondering if everything was okay, if letters and packages were making it through, if feelings had changed. After seeing the mess the Navy had created in her parents' lives and marriage, she'd known it wasn't the life she wanted for herself. Even with all of the problems, fights, and hard times, her mother had willingly waited at home, the dutiful spouse content for the crumbs of time the Navy allowed her to have with her husband. But Lynne wasn't her mother; she wasn't cut from the same cloth. She believed she needed someone who would be more committed to her than they were to any job -- especially one that would take them away for months at a time. After eighteen years of living a life whose very fiber was determined by the needs of the military, she'd welcomed the escape that going to college and starting a life on her own had given her. For almost eight years, she'd been comfortable with the choices she had made. While opting to avoid military men in a Navy town may have limited the dating pool, she had never once questioned her decision. At least, not until that fateful August afternoon, until him.

    Swept away in the unexpected tidal wave of meeting Trace, Lynne had been forced to re-examine every belief she'd ever held sacrosanct in her life. Sitting in front of the television, the horrifying scenes flashing across the screen in chaotic technicolor, she fought against the long forgotten feelings of foreboding she'd lived with throughout her entire childhood.  How could one person have had such a drastic effect on every belief I’d held sacrosanct in my life?  If I’d known one trip to the beach would change the entire direction of my life, I don’t know if I’d have taken it. Yet, even now, watching the news with her heart in her throat, hands twisting in her lap, and his ring on her finger, she also knew that she wouldn’t have traded the last eight months for anything that had come before, no matter what the future held.


Until next time, SMOOCHES! 

No comments:

Post a Comment