Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Visit From Debra Anastasia and a Special Guest.

Today I am turning my blog over to Debra Anastasia, the author of Crushed Seraphim and Pughkeepsie. I've had the pleasure of getting to know Debra on Facebook and it thrilled me to no end when she agreed to stop by for a visit.  

So, without further ado, I'm going to let you talk with Debra and her special guest. 

 
Hi Guys!

So Laura was willing to let me drop by her blog today and take over. I decided to interview my character from Poughkeepsie, Beckett Taylor. He’s one of the three brothers we meet in the story. He’s the knife in the boys’ matching tattoos. There’s a reason --he’s deadly. We met at Starbucks downtown. I was a bit early. He always makes me nervous.

I sat at an outdoor table. Although it was sunny, the breeze added a snap of chill to the spring air. I pulled my coat closer and sipped on my hot cocoa. I heard his ridiculous Hummer before I saw it. The thing was immense and he drove it like a freak show. I know he doesn’t believe in lines painted on roads. As he stopped his vehicle dead in the center of the lot, I remembered he hates lines anywhere in general.

He hopped out and half jogged towards me with a huge smile, dimple flashing. He crossed in front of two cars, both having to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting him. As the drivers related their anger and surprise with horn honks, Beckett stopped so he was still in their way. He used both hands to give the drivers the finger.

Things would have escalated if either male driver had a tinge of road rage. I knew Beckett was most likely armed. I hopped up and left my drink and purse. I sprinted down the stairs and into the lot. As soon as I reached him I hugged him hard around his neck, forcing his angry face to look at me.

His jaw was tense. His hot temper might have gotten us both in trouble. He locked his gorgeous blue eyes on my face.

“Writer,” he said by way of greeting.

“Angry dude,” I responded.

The honking continued and I could feel as his body got even more tense.

“If you get in a fight right now, I’m joining you. We’ll both be involved.”

“That’s not fair and you know it.” His dimple was coming back, letting me know a smile might be on its way.

“I’ve never said I’d be fair but you love me anyway.” I turned and pulled on his thick arm.

He let himself be led and I was grateful.

I brought him to my table and he waited until I sat to sit down.

“What’s this?” Beckett raised an eyebrow of suspicion at the Starbucks cup in front of his chair.

“Hot cocoa.” I sipped my drink again and was relived when I saw the lot clear of the frustrated drivers. They would never know how lucky they were to get out of the lot unscathed.

He rolled his eyes with his smile and then picked up the cup. “Toast, with the pansy-assed cocoa.”

I smiled back at him as our cardboard cups barely made a noise when they met. “By the way, we’re here for a blog, so no cursing.”

He shook his head and leaned back in his chair. “You’re always doing that to me.”

“Actually, you’re lucky my book even got published with your mouth.”

I stopped a napkin from flying away by setting my cup on top of it.

“So how goes it? The book that is?” He scanned the parking lot while we spoke. Always looking for something off, he could never rest.

I shouldn’t have picked the outdoor seats, it probably made it harder on him.

“It’s doing well. It’s nice to know it exists in the world, finally.” I watched as the other cars had to maneuver around his Hummer.

“So, why are we here? You rarely have time for chit-chat anymore.” His bicep rippled as he took a sip of his drink and made a face. “So sweet. Seriously. I’m a man.”

“It’s sort of about chit-chatting more often.” I was trying to segue into my intended topic all sneaky style.

He knew better. I saw him swallow a few curses before clicking his tongue.

“Another book?” He almost looked scared.

I shrugged and tried to smile again. He had every right to be wary. I’d taken so much from him, made him face his worst fears in Poughkeepsie. I was asking him if I could do it all again.

He rubbed his thumb on his bottom lip for a few beats. “I don’t know, Debra. I just don’t know.”

He never called me by my actual name, so I knew he was thrown for a loop.

“I can’t stop you. That’s for sure. And there were things that were left unfinished.” He took another hit from the Starbucks, not even cringing this time.

“I won’t do it if you can’t. I will understand. You know I love you.” I wanted to touch his hand, soften the wheels that must be turning in his head. I didn’t.

“Not much for small-talk today, huh? Just getting right the hell in there.” He rubbed his hand down the front of his tight black t-shirt.

I let the small swear slip by, waiting. A sequel to Poughkeepsie would be all about Beckett. And the love of his life.

We sat for a while and watched let him silently run through the last journey we took together. A full gamut of emotions played across his handsome face. My chair squeaked against the pavement and an ambulance went by with lights and siren full blast.

“Do you need an answer right now?” He watched as a cop car came to life on the roadway and pulled an illegal u-turn to follow the ambulance.


“No. You can let it fester for a while.” I didn’t want to press him. I couldn’t. I never wanted to hurt him and his life had already given him so many sucker punches.

Three more cop cars went flying by and Beckett stood as if they were an alarm going off on his watch. He finished his drink and set down the cup.

“Eventually, they might be here looking for me.”

He pointed at the road and I understood. He had been involved in whatever the authorities were about to find.

“What the hell did you do? It’s ten o’clock in the morning?” I stood as well and he pulled me into a hug.

“Do you want me to answer that?” He looked playful.

I shook my head and hugged him back. “Get out of here.”

He didn’t let go and leaned down to my ear, “You know I trust you. If you need me to go with you on an adventure in your head, I’ll be there. I’d do anything for you.”

I looked up from his chest. “I can’t promise neat and tidy. You know how I am up here.” I reached around his muscled arm to point at my temple.

“You’re crazy, baby. But I’ll go wherever you want.” He gave me a breath-stopping squeeze.

He didn’t say goodbye, just left. I was still standing as his Hummer took off, driving right over a few bushes and the median.

I sat down and finally noticed how chilly it was. It was like Beckett was his own sun and had warmed up our little table. Without him the sirens in the distance sounded like howling wolves. Sure enough, police cars started to pour into the lot.  I deposited his cup and mine in the trash and headed for my minivan.

I was all the way home when I realized I’d never told him for sure what I was going to do. I sighed, hoping he would understand as I sat down to type.



Thanks again to Laura for letting Beckett and I drop by! 

It was my pleasure Debra! For more information about Debra, Beckett, his brothers, or her books, please stop by Debra's website. You can reach it by clicking on her book cover below. It's gorgeous, isn't it? 






3 comments:

  1. Oh, Beckett, how I love thee. Let me count the ways. I'll give you something much stronger than cocoa. *nudges Debra out of the way* Come on, baby. :)

    Debra, you are all kind of fun as usual. Great scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rachel You know Beckett is keeping something hot in his pants for you.

    @Rhonda You are a pleasure chest of pleasure. Beckett will see you tonight. Twice. At least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with this man. (And also glad that I'm not the only crazy writer who has chats with her characters. I can't WAIT for the sequel. As a fan from way back (and the original version), I could not BELIEVE that the book ended where it did with things so unresolved for him (though I understood why it had to be that way). But I may have sobbed.
    So . . . how's the writing going?

    ReplyDelete